As first official cemetery for the Town of Mooresville, Willow Valley was created in
1885 when the Town purchased land from Mrs. Moore the widow of John Franklin Moore.
The cemetery land was purchased in honor of Mr. Moore and
as the first Town cemetery from land once owned by the
Moore's. The Town chose Mr. Moore’s land as the site of the
new cemetery as Mr. Moore and his family had allowed a cemetery
to be started at the back of their land for the residents of
the area. Many of the graves of the earlier residents of the
Town can still be seen today just across from Mr. Moore’s
grave. The land was also chosen for the new cemetery because
it was on a hill overlooking the newly formed Town. Willow
Valley is today one of three Town owned cemeteries.